Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Combat Water Survival

Every time I think that I've officially heard the dumbest f@#$ing question imaginable, one of these sons of bitches goes above and beyond the limits of rational thought and delivers a gem.  We are at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island South Carolina.  We are not at boot for the Army or the Air Force.  The Marine Corps fights on land, in the air and in the WATER.  The freaking Marines Hymn states "we will fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea!"  So maybe somebody else can explain why one of the guys in the platoon asked this question,"Why do we have to pass a swim qual?!? My recruiter never said anything about going in the water!"  How the hell did this guy graduate from high school?  How the hell did this guy pass the ASVAB??  How the hell did somebody think that giving this imbecile a gun was a good idea?!?!

Before I came down here I thought that I was pretty smart and reasonably well travelled.  It never occurred to me before this week that a majority of young black men can't swim.  I am admitting my own ignorance here and I'm not trying to lump anyone into a stereotype.  Almost all the black recruits in Platoon 2070 failed swim qual.  I only mention this because they excel in all the other physical activities that we get forced to do; running, pull-ups, crunches, obstacles, pugil sticks..  you name it they are awesome at it.  Now, to be fair I should mention that we aren't talking about simple swimming.  I am talking about swimming in fatigues and boots, so it's not easy.  There is also a jump into the deep end of a two meter platform with a band around your arms and legs.  One recruit started to cry and scream at the top of his lungs on the platform because he was so scared.  This is where I don't understand the DIs.  This kid is terrified and screaming..  so what does the DI?  If you guessed scream at him that he is miserable, good for nothing, waste of air.  Now that is a reasonable reaction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment