Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The passing of a legend

On Sunday, December 30, 2012 my grandfather Stanton R. Kelley passed away in his sleep.  I don't know quite how to put into words how much he meant to me.  He always made me feel like I was 10 feet tall and indestructible.  He was an eccentric character.  As he got older he could tell stories of WWII and Korea with stunning recall, but had trouble talking about recent events.  He was so proud of being a Marine that I honestly thought his birthday was November 10.  He was equally proud of being a Tufts Jumbo.  He would talk for hours about Marines he knew, or Tufts alumni or guys he knew at the prison.  He was well read and well spoken.  He had his vices and his hangups like we all do, but he was a funny, proud and loving man who will be dearly missed.

I don't like to use the word hero very often, because I think its overuse has cheapened it.  Athletes who play games, actors who play other people, politicians who just don't get it, these are not heroes.  Heroes are those who answer the call to service, who face impossible odds with a steal resolve, who continue to fight when the battle looks lost, who never give up, and when they get knocked down either by life or their own bad choices get up and try again.  Captain Stanton R. Kelley was one of my heroes.  The other is my father.

I joined the Marine Corps in June 1999.  My dad is an Army veteran and I didn't join the Marines to spite him.  I joined the Marines for the challenge and the brotherhood aspect that I knew they could offer.  I graduated from Boot Camp on September 10, 1999.  My grandfather came to Parris Island and I saluted him.  He told me "Welcome to my beloved Corps!" to which I responded, "No you're wrong, it's OUR beloved Corps!"  The salute was cool, but the fact that he came all that way with my Dad, my uncle and my grandmother was huge.  I think of all the stories he told me over the years about battles he'd fought and places he'd been and things he did.  I hope I'm as fortunate to live as long and as a colorful a life as he did... well maybe not quite as colorful ;-)

Captain Stanton R. Kelley, in the proudest tradition of the United States Marine Corps and Naval Service I wish you fair winds and following seas.  Semper Fidelis.

With love, respect and admiration,
Sergeant Shawn P. Connors USMC


No comments:

Post a Comment